3.21.2011

Leave A Light On, Chicago

I've paid taxes in 3 states and 2 countries.  I've lived in the middle of nowhere, the city and the suburbs.  So, I'd like to relay to you--with prior research and extreme conviction--

You can take the girl out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the girl.

And Chicago is MY city.  Because Grand Rapids is nice and all, but it really doesn't count.

Every so often, I HAVE to get back home.  To walk the crowded streets, ride the "El," eat at my favorite restaurants, talk to some of my favorite people. 

Meet my brunch buddy, Clay.  We go out for other meals, but I always think our best conversations happen over brunch at Nookies.  Fantastic food.  Great vibe. It's BYOB and the couple next to us was splendidly mixing their own Mimosas.
Of course, we stopped to see the Green River on our way to brunch...
IMG_2976
IMG_2981
Then, we did what true Chicagoans do on a Saturday- a nice mix of walking and El riding as we shopped and strolled our way through the city.  Of course we ducked in for an afternoon cocktail at Adobo Grill.  Chicagoans, you know.

And finally, dinner!  Enter my tapas teammate, Dara.  We really don't ever discuss where to meet for dinner--it's always tapas at Cafe Iberico.  There are other tapas in town, but we will heatedly argue with you about why Iberico is the best ever.  We co-chair the fan club.
IMG_2984
Luckily I was in town for two dinners, so my cute mom came in from the suburbs and met me at another fabulous place- The Grand Lux Cafe. We always request the rotunda- a huge room of windows overlooking the bustle of Michigan Avenue.
IMG_3029
I don't want you to leave thinking I'm just a wanderer and foodie (although not bad choices for a life).  Chicago is rich for me because it's the place where I've grown the most intellectually.  Here's my favorite study spot overlooking Rush St. I re-lived my Grad School glory days and worked here for a few hours. That view is life-giving and creativity-injecting.
IMG_3025
So, leave a light on, Chicago.  I can't seem to stay away for long...

4 comments:

What a beautiful portrait you painted of this fabulous city!! I completely agree with your insights, and you KNOW our light is on to welcome you anytime!!

oh man I miss me some Chicago and Clay bay bay....

I love Chicago, too! I'm not from there, granted, but I go once a year! My best friend in the ENTIRE universe lives there, so it's a MUST-MAKE TRIP each year! Where are your favorite restaurants?

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More