3.07.2011

Why I'm Scared to Get Married

The list is kind of long, actually.  But the God I worship is a healer, so I do believe He will take my jaded, messed up self and weave it into a beautiful story.

But then I might break all the "rules" and just live with him.  Because really I'm scared of the actual wedding. It's not what you think.  My greatest fear is that we'll throw a great big party and people won't get along.

I've carefully selected my friends to be VERY different from each other.  The professors, the artists, the brilliant business minds, the stay-at-home moms (and dads!), the college students, the lawyers, the retail workers, the camp people, the atheists, the Jesus-followers, the people that think Rob Bell is going to Hell, the people that think those people are viewing the Gospel all wrong...

So you can see why I'm scared of a fight breaking out.  But, I'm going to keep doing it. Collecting these people and calling them friends.  I'm living out what I was made to do.

I think I knew this from a young age.  Even in my 99% white town, I sought to be best friends with the kids that were different than me.  During her time in the US, Hana Ee opened my little eyes to the wonders of sleeping on mats, Japanese cooking, and women that actually wore kimonos.  And when Joyce arrived from Puerto Rico to live in my neighbor's basement, she blessed my life with her Spanish and dancing and large family.  Both girls returned home before I was in 3rd grade.  But I'll never forget what they gave me.

Don't think I'm all- aren't I awesome and friends with everyone- here.  I'm ashamed of the way I went against what God created me to do.  In high school, college, and often since then, I've succumbed to that peer pressure of having a friend group that looks like you and talks like you.  I'm ashamed I wasted years.  And hurt people.  And didn't live the story I was created for.

But my God had bigger plans for my life.  My friends, and their crazy, varied, lovely stories have revealed new worlds and truths.  They've shaped me. 
We scored great tickets to Rent in NYC

3 comments:

April, I just you! Now that I'm you're friend you can add an Argentine to your list, unless there's already one then your even more blessed.

I meant to say "I JUST love you". Ugh, I left the most important word out of that sentence!! Or may I should have said, "Te queiro mucho"

Amy- te quiero mucho tambien! And I do have an Argentine friend. Her name is Fatima. Funny how I always connect her with Argentina before you- must be her accent. :)

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More