4.08.2011

Grieving Summertime

As I approach the summer season, I do my grieving now.  It's fair.  There are going to be things about summertime that I will miss.  And I've led enough summer teams to know that when I'm in the middle of it, I will love it and it will all be worth it.  But, I also remember what it was like to not be a summer camp director.  To go to the beach, ride my bike, run the lakeshore, go to festivals every weekend.... 

I'm an extrovert.  I live to be where the people are.  I only like restaurants that have 2 hour waits. Seriously.  So, you're not expecting me to say that I just want stay home with my flowers this summer, right?  I want to have time to garden.  I want to tend to my soil, sketch plans for full-summer blooming, grow organic fruits and vegetables...maybe even wear a floppy hat.
  
If you've never been thrilled to the very edges of your soul by a flower in spring bloom, maybe your soul has never been in bloom.  ~Terri Guillemets

I went out in my yard and took this picture today.  The first bloom of spring.

IMG_3138

And then, I came full circle in my idea of grieving summertime.  What if this was all I needed to see-the first bloom?  And what if blooming isn't about the flower after all? What if it's really meant just to show us how to do it in our lives?  

My soul is in bloom.  I will tend to that.  That can travel anywhere.  I will honor my Creator with new inspiration.




1 comments:

Does anyone ever have time to garden? I'm contemplating a vegetable garden this summer and thinking...oh man. That seems like a lot of work. But I still keep thinking about it...

I know your summer will bring you joy, even if it's not in the same way it used to. Hopefully you can still fit in a two hour restaurant wait every once in a while. We both know those are always worth it! :)

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More